“Try to imagine a life without timekeeping. You probably can’t. You know the month, the year, the day of the week. There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car. You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie. Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored. Birds are not late. A dog does not check its watch. Deer do not fret over passing birthdays. an alone measures time. Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out.”
“I do not particularly like the word 'work.' Human beings are the only animals who have to work, and I think that is the most ridiculous thing in the world. Other animals make their livings by living, but people work like crazy, thinking that they have to in order to stay alive. The bigger the job, the greater the challenge, the more wonderful they think it is. It would be good to give up that way of thinking and live an easy, comfortable life with plenty of free time. I think that the way animals live in the tropics, stepping outside in the morning and evening to see if there is something to eat, and taking a long nap in the afternoon, must be a wonderful life. For human beings, a life of such simplicity would be possible if one worked to produce directly his daily necessities. In such a life, work is not work as people generally think of it, but simply doing what needs to be done.”
- Melissa and Jess disagree about the concept of work, what is considered work and what isn't.
- Jess loves sundials.
- Melissa and Jess take the The Authentic Happiness Questionnaire: VIA Survey of Character Strengths and discuss their results.
- Jess calls Melissa an asshole.
- The Power of Introverts Ted talk by Susan Cain
- Quiet, By Susan Cain
- This week's Reddit question.
- Melissa loves Disney movies.
- Buzzfedd: 31 Songs From The ’00s That Understood Your Teen Angst